Monday 13 February 2012

Week 5 - Monday 13 Feb - rehab for iPhones, and me!

So, in addition to exquisite design, intuitive functionality and legendary attention to detail, Apple can now add mechanical robustness to their product claims. Recent tests by a consumer (David) have shown that an iPhone 4 can withstand a full wash (medium temperature) and spin cycle and still function perfectly well. All you have to do is stick your phone in a bag of rice for two days and hey presto - good as new. And a lot cleaner too!! So here are the other videos from last Thursday. The dead lift jump helps develop triple extension - moving the hip, knee and ankle to create explosive power and speed.  I need that to develop the "bounce and verticality" I mentioned for jumping, running etc. The second jump shows how it should not be done, but fortunately I followed that with several good ones!




These line jumps show some of my residual challenges with co-ordination, especially in my right leg and foot. But they also show that the bounce is starting to come - I'd not been able to get any "spring" before last week, so this was another milestone.







Today I had two hours with Mica, my first sessions with her. It was varied and hard work, and great to have input from another pair of eyes with great experience. We did lots of work on the Pilates reformer (great for addressing my hip flexor issues, opening the pelvis and improving leg co-ordination), had me crawling on the floor in a bear crawl (again hip flexors, whole body co-ordination), high knee kicks etc. Several of the trainers have found that I respond well working against some resistance. As with the sled pull, these runs with resistance bands force me to put my body weight forward and get better force through my legs and feet, which seems to produce a nice clean push off, high knees, good tracking, stable ankles and good co-ordination, especially when I combine that with good arm movement. 




We then tried to transfer that into a normal run, with this result......




Remember that Jamie Gillentine video? That run with Max and Amy is in my sights now!!


Talking of Jamie - he's at PW this Thursday morning, so I'm looking forward to getting to know him. I'm told that he's keen on meeting other clients who progress to this level - to share experiences, challenges, learnings. We are the fortunate ones and sadly there are very, very few of us - though Project Walk is helping to change that.


Its a stormy old night out there in Southern California, so time for an early night with a book or a bit of Whitney-vision

3 comments:

  1. Paul...agree with earlier postings...Project Walk has become Project Run! Absolutely inspiring and you have come such a long way...looks like an Ironman won't be too far out of sight soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul,WOW! what progress, you must be delighted. All that hard work is paying dividends. The children will have great fun when you return,Amy for skipping and running and Max for football and diving in the pool,well done.Great news that Jamie Gillentine is visiting Project Walk. Does he know that he has been a great inspiration to you and say thankyou to him from both of us. We are sure that he will be amazed at your progress. Brilliant blog from Vivienne,she really knows her stuff. Apple should send you a free ipad2 for that piece of free publicity,I bet they never thought of that when they did their product testing. .speak to you soon . Love Mum and Dad

    ReplyDelete