Tuesday 24 January 2012

Week 2 - Tuesday 24 Jan

Tonight, my body feels as you'd expect after more than 30 different exercises over three hours - tired, ready for my rest day tomorrow but sensing that the hard work is really starting to pay off. I had a big "Aha" moment in my session with Travis  - piecing together two components of my gait and so helping turn what was a stiff, segmented movement into a single, fluid motion. I hope that improvement sticks when I try it out tomorrow.

One of my biggest challenges is tightness throughout my body - very typical with SCI injuries. Its like there's a big rubber band wrapped around my legs and torso. Sometimes, like in the videos from last week, the tightness eases a bit, but most of the time I fight against myself to move. Sometimes, when I've exercised a lot and moved fast (like on the treadmill), it feels like the rubber band gets overwound and starts to spring back, so I almost feel like my body wants to move without my mind telling it to go anywhere! It affects my gait, is inefficient and uses up a lot of physical energy. It also means I have to think about pretty much every step, so requiring lots of mental energy too.  Today I tried acupuncture for the first time post injury. The therapist said what I hoped he would - that he thinks this can help reduce the tightness. The idea is to help with the neuro system re-programing and to prompt the system to relax. He was very confident that acupuncture should help accelerate my recovery, and that I should see very big progress by the end of the 6 weeks here. That's what I came here for, and I'll explore all options to help me get there - so will try a few more sessions this week and next.

4 comments:

  1. Think the acupuncture will be great, and help with sleep too. Hope Kely is around this wkd. Looking forward to more videos. Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  2. More good news. Hope those rubber bands get broken. Sounds like 3 hours per day is enough!! And keep your rest days dude. One more day for me in Singapore then the big flight back. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having never looked at someone's blog before I felt as challenged as you did when trying to upload the vids. So hopefully this comment gets through. Great to hear and incredibly also see your progress. Last vid I saw was Singapore. The improvement is dramatic. And I agree with the Amy comment ... nice pony impression! Well done matey, keep it up. Would suggest you stick to starters over there as you're only a wee guy! All our love Simon

    ReplyDelete