Tuesday 17 January 2012

Day 2 - raising the bar

I had been warned! "It's an intensive, activity based program", they said "and we work you really hard". I said "Yeah, but I push myself pretty hard at home and work 4 or 5 hours a day". But this afternoon, for 3 hours solid, non stop, I was pushed to a completely different level. I loved every minute of it. My legs are still buzzing  more than three hours after we ended (and I think that's a good thing)!

Today started with a walk on the beach. I'll remind you that's very hard work for me, before saying that it was a cloudless, warm and beautiful morning. So this really is SoCal - and the weather forecasters here get it just as wrong as everywhere else!

Today David worked more on my jogging, sidesteps and lunges before getting me stepping over low hurdles. I'd seen videos of other clients doing that. I didn't expect to get started on Day 2. My last two hours were with Genny, who really cranked up the range and intensity of exercises. Genny nailed it for me. She said that I have great strength (and that it's very unusual to be at this stage just 6 months post injury) and really what's needed is to fire up the neurological system and work hard on improving co-ordination. That's exactly what my body was telling me before I came. Genny also said that, given that's my starting position, I should be able to achieve really good improvement in gait in the six weeks I'm here. That's another log on the motivational fire, and the bar just got raised again on my hopes and expectations.

I've just refueled on the biggest quesadilla I've ever seen. Tomorrow's my scheduled rest/ recovery day. I'll post again on Thursday.  


(Still no joy on fixing the video upload. Will keep trying)

1 comment:

  1. well done Paul, we are really proud of what you are achieving. We've just seen the video of Jamie G, its incredible to see what he has achieved and it was wonderful to see the last part of the video, where he was running with his son. Its was lovely to speak to you last night on Skype, you look incredibly well, we'll do it again on Saturday evening around 5pm our time if thats ok with you, Julie will try to be hear as well.

    All our love
    Mum & Dad xxxxx

    ReplyDelete